Discrimination Against Migrants in Japan

 Hi, how are you?

This is Nisreen from Tokyo.

Today I'd like to talk about two films pertaining to discrimination against migrants in Japan.


On 18th of March, I watched a documentary film about the inhuman treatment of asylum seekers in immigration detention centers in Japan, "Ushiku". I had been longing to watch this film, since I had found the project through a lovely friend, Daniel Ndevu who was the impact producer of the film.

Now that I've watched the film, I'd say that this work should be watched by all humans! It's not only important, but also a beautifully crafted movie.


It left me completely speechless for revealing cruelty of the bureaucratic system here and the violence inside of the facility. It also made me speak non-stop with Subo about what I've just seen.

What broke my heart most was the part where this man said it might have been better if he had just died in the war in his home country than having to going through such struggles in Japan.

In addition, on 27f of March, I attended a screening party of a documentary film about two young Kurdish men who are living in Tokyo. The director was also present and had a talk session with the audience.

Even though the two protagonists, Ozan and Ramazan grew up in Japan and got education here, the government does not grant them permission of residence or refugee status. It results in the extremely difficult situation where they are not allowed to work or have the national health insurance and they have to get bureaucratic permission every time they have cross-prefecture trip. They are also exposed to threat of getting caught in immigration detention facilities for years --Ramazan's uncle has gone through that-- without enough medical support.



I'm shy to admit it, but I didn't know that there are over 2,000 Kurdish migrants in Japan. And it's appalling to find out that the Japanese government has never granted refugee status to any of them.
More details:

Now I feel more urge to learn about these issues and raise awareness in the society.

Love,

Nisreen 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

男性のベリーダンスは女性とは違うんですか?

ベリーダンスってハーレムで王様を誘惑するために踊られていた踊りなんでしょ?

ベリーダンスの衣装って、着てて恥ずかしくないですか?