[Bilingual post] Podcast Ep.20 What Makes Podcasts Special /ポッドキャスト Ep.20 ポッドキャストで叶える夢

    Japanese follows English/日本語は英語の後に記載

Hello, this is Nisreen! Welcome to the 20th episode of my podcast! 

Today, I’d like to take a trip down memory lane, and talk about what inspired me to start this podcast. 


Please find the audio file and script below.
The episode is available on  Apple Podcasts and Spotify as well.

X Script
Hello, this is Nisreen! Welcome to the 20th episode of my podcast! It’s lovely to speak with you again.

Today, I’d like to take a trip down memory lane, and talk about what inspired me to start this podcast. 

When I was a little girl, podcasts weren’t around yet—at least not in Japan. Instead, we had radio. I used to listen to this well-known pop singer’s radio program every now and then. He would chat, play music, and have lonely hearts conversations with listeners. One night, he got a call from a teenage girl who hadn’t been to school for a couple of years after a traumatic event. She was obviously hurt and embarrassed about her situation. I expected the singer to be sympathetic. But, upsettingly, he wasn’t. He downplayed her trauma, laughing it off as something trivial, that only she would remember in the future.

To be fair, maybe he was trying to offer a different perspective. But I didn’t hear any thoughtfulness in his voice or choice of words. Twelve-year-old me was disillusioned—and angry. It was especially disappointing because listening to those radio chats made me feel like I was part of a friendship. There’s something particularly intimate about listening to the radio. It felt different from watching TV. His dismissive tone lingered in my mind, like overhearing a friend speaking poorly about someone behind their back. Who did he think he was? I stopped listening to his music altogether after that night. 

Fast-forward to last winter, when I had a flashback to that experience after hearing a female podcaster mocking vegetarians. Again, I had a strong sense of betrayal, because I was beginning to feel a connection with that podcaster. The difference this time was that auditory entertainment had become a much larger part of my life. I often play different podcasts or YouTube videos while working on my art projects. I’ve come to realise just how much impact the human voice can have on me. The podcasts I enjoy most all have soothing voices, calm analysis, and careful language. Plus, their content is thoughtful and well-researched. Unfortunately, this kind of content isn’t always easy to find, especially in Japanese, unless you turn to national educational channels. This might be because English dominates the podcast world, while Japanese is still a minority language in this sphere.

I started thinking—maybe I could create the kind of podcast I want to hear—a peaceful audio space where I can speak to likeminded people. If I made it bilingual, it would help me improve my English speaking skills, and might also benefit English or Japanese learners.

Having a talk session with one of my favourite YouTubers and friends, Sumino, encouraged me to make this idea a reality. And each one of you who listens to this podcast—you’ve inspired me too. I want to thank each of you. It’s been challenging, but also incredibly healing to gather my thoughts in two languages and share my voice from this little platform every week.

Next month, I’ll be taking a break for some academic and performance projects. I’ll return in October with season two! In the meantime, I’ll be sharing past episodes on my YouTube channel. I’d be delighted if you left a review of this podcast or commented on my YouTube channel. And, of course, you’re always welcome to share your thoughts through the contact form in the description.

Thank you so much for listening. See you soon!

X Reference

-Follow me-


--日本語--
こんにちは、ニスリーンです!私のポッドキャスト第20回目のエピソードへようこそ!また皆さんとお話できてうれしいです。

今日は、私がこのポッドキャストを始めるきっかけになった思い出についてお話したいと思います。


以下にフルスクリプトと、オーディオファイルを載せております。
また、Apple Podcasts と Spotifyからもお聴きいただけます。

X スクリプト
こんにちは、ニスリーンです!私のポッドキャスト第20回目のエピソードへようこそ!また皆さんとお話できてうれしいです。

今日は、私がこのポッドキャストを始めるきっかけになった思い出についてお話したいと思います。

私が子供の頃、ポッドキャストというものはまだありませんでした。少なくとも日本ではそうだったと思います。ただ、代わりにラジオがありました。私はある有名なポップミュージシャンのラジオ番組を時々聴いていました。彼はおしゃべりをしたり、音楽を流したり、視聴者のお悩み相談に答えたりしていました。

ある夜、10代の女の子からの相談がはいりました。あるトラウマになるような出来事の後、数年間学校に行っていないという話でした。彼女は明らかに傷つき、自分の状況を恥じていました。私は、ミュージシャンがきっと優しく気持ちに寄り添ってあげるだろうと思っていました。

でも、そうではなかったのです。彼は、女の子の経験は大したことがないと仄めかし、覚えているのは彼女だけだろうと言い放ったのでした。

今思えば、彼はきっと別な角度から物事を見るように言いたかったのだろうなと思います。しかし、彼の声色や言葉の選び方には思いやりが感じられませんでした。12歳の私はとてもガッカリし、そして怒りを覚えました。いったいこの人は何様なんだろう!

ラジオのおしゃべりを聞いている内に、まるで友達の話を聴いているような気がしていたので、尚更ショックだったのだと思います。ラジオには、TVにはないような親密な感じがありました。彼のどこか人を見下したような口調は、友人が陰口を言っているのを耳にしたときのように、いつまでも嫌な感触を残しました。その夜以来、私は彼の音楽を聴くのをやめました。

時は飛んで、昨年の冬のことです。ある女性ポッドキャスターの番組を聴いていたら、ベジタリアンを馬鹿にする言葉が出てきて、私は子供の頃の気持ちを思い出しました。そのポッドキャスターに親しみを感じ始めていた私は、またしても裏切られたような気持ちになってしまいました。

子供時代との違いは、聴覚的な娯楽が私の生活の中でより大きな部分を占めるようになっていたことです。私はアートに取り組みながら、ポッドキャストやYouTubeのビデオを流すことが多いのです。耳から入ってくる人の声が私に与える影響がいかに強いものか、気づくようになりました。

私の作業時間を心地よいものにしてくれているポッドキャストは、日英どの言語でも、落ち着いた声で丁寧に思いやりのある言葉を選んで発信されているものだと気づきました。その内容は思慮深く、よく研究されたものです。残念なことに、このようなコンテンツは、特に日本語だと、NHKでもなければ、なかなか珍しいことにも気づき始めていました。ポッドキャストの世界では英語が主流で、日本語のチャンネルはまだまだ少ないからかもしれません。

そこで、私が自分で聴きたいようなポッドキャストを作ったらいいのではないか、同好の士に話しかけるような、平和なオーディオ空間を作ることができるかもしれない、と考え始めたのです。日英バイリンガルにすれば、自分の英語力の向上にもつながるし、英語学習者や日本語学習者にも役立つかもしれない、とも思いました。

私のお気に入りのYouTuberであり、友人でもある澄乃さんとの対談をしたことも、このアイデアを実現する後押しをしてくれました。

そして、このポッドキャストを聴いてくださっている皆さんお一人お一人が、私のやる気の源になっています。あらためて、とっても感謝しています。
2つの言語で自分の考えをまとめ、毎週この小さなプラットフォームから自分の声を届けることは、大変であると同時に、とても心が癒される経験です。

なお、来月は、学業とダンス公演のためお休みをいただきます。10月にシーズン2で戻ってきます!それまでは、私のYouTubeチャンネルで過去のエピソードを紹介していきます。このポッドキャストのレビューやYouTubeチャンネルへのコメントを残していただけると、とってもうれしいです。もちろん、説明文にあるコンタクトフォームからも、いつでも感想をお寄せください。

ここまで聴いて頂いて本当にありがとうございました。また、お耳にかかれますこと、楽しみにしております!


X Reference
Fan talk with Sumino 澄乃さんとの対談
My YouTube channel私のYouTubeチャネル

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

男性のベリーダンスは女性とは違うんですか?

ベリーダンスってハーレムで王様を誘惑するために踊られていた踊りなんでしょ?

ベリーダンスの衣装って、着てて恥ずかしくないですか?