[Bilingual post] Podcast Ep.9 My Thoughts about the Process of Entering Art Universities in Japan./ポッドキャスト Ep.9 日本の美大受験システムについて思うこと

 Japanese follows English/日本語は英語の後に記載

Hello, this is Nisreen! I uploaded the ninth episode of my bilingual podcast. Today, I' d love to share my thoughts about the process of  entering art universities in Japan. A little bit about my background- in 2011, I finished a bachelor’s degree in graphic design. I graduated from an art university called Tokyo Zokei University, one of the five best-known art universities in Tokyo. I know it’s a long time ago, but I think currently living in the US is giving me more opportunity to reflect on my educational background, because a) people ask me about it more, and b) there is a different culture around art here in the US.

Please listen to the audio file below. It's available on Apple Podcasts or Spotify as well.

I’d be delighted if you write a review of this podcast on Apple Podcasts  or rating on Spotify. It would be lovely if you share the episode on social media as well. And of course, you’re more than welcome to let me know your thoughts about this topic from the contact form

X Script

Hello, this is Nisreen! Welcome to the ninth episode of my podcast! It’s lovely to speak to you again. 

Today, I’d love to share my thoughts about the process of  entering art universities in Japan. A little bit about my background- in 2011, I finished a bachelor’s degree in graphic design. I graduated from an art university called Tokyo Zokei University, one of the five best-known art universities in Tokyo. I know it’s a long time ago, but I think currently living in the US is giving me more opportunity to reflect on my educational background, because a) people ask me about it more, and b) there is a different culture around art here in the US.

The experience I gained during my BA was truly precious and I am nothing but grateful. However, the entrance process was far from easy. Some memories around it still make me emotional even today.  I thought it would be an interesting idea to share three reasons why it was so hard for me, and suggest how it could have been made better. Please keep in mind that my opinions are based on my personal experience, so the situation may be different today. 


Reason1: Costs pile up.

This was the challenge for my parents, rather than myself. The total cost for the full four-year programme was approximately 8 million yen, which is about 60,000 dollars.  Compared to art universities in the US, such as the School of Visual Arts in New York, which costs about 94,000 dollars for a full two-year course, this may not be the worst. But inside of Japan, where the average cost for a private four-year undergraduate course is 4 million yen, or 30,000 dollars, the art university is disproportionately expensive. 

On top of this, in order to prepare for the entrance exams, students have to go to a dedicated tutoring school after school every evening. Those tutoring schools also cost from about 1300 to 3000 dollars per year. I remember when I was preparing for the entrance exam, my parents were literally working day and night to keep up with the relentless payments. Thanks to them, I was in a privileged position, where I was able to fully concentrate on my art and regular school studies. As my highschool prohibited students from having a part time job, if my household had had financial challenges, I wouldn’t have even thought about going to art university. The university’s website indicates the options for scholarships, but they only cover about 10 percent of the yearly cost. Though the only state art university in whole Tokyo, Tokyo Art University, is less expensive, the acceptance rate is only about 30 percent.  Most students fail the entrance exam and spend years trying to get in, which ends up costing extra tutoring fees. On the whole, I wish there was more systematic support for art students and their families.  


Reason2: The course options are inflexible.

The start of my journey to art university dates back to my childhood. I was a girl who was perfectly happy as long as I had a small piece of paper and a pencil. My unlimited love for visual art and drawing led me to believe I should pursue a degree in art. However, when I finally became a teenager and looked at the undergraduate programmes, I felt lost. Tokyo Zokei University had one fine art course, but required an in-person test on oil painting, in addition to pencil sketching and an academic test. Though I enjoyed oil painting at art school when I was a child, I had eventually stopped as I didn’t have the proper space to really work on it. To those of you who don’t know, oil painting requires an area separate from your living space, as its smell is intense, and paints get everywhere. In addition, oil paintings are expensive. Traditional Japanese paints are even worse. I wished I could focus on acrylics or watercolour, which are more affordable and require less space. In Tama Art University, meanwhile, also, you need to specifically select one medium to study from three options in fine art, ‘Oil painting’, ‘lithography’, and ‘traditional Japanese painting.’ As looking up now, it seems that usage of acrylics is permitted during the entrance exam of the oil painting course. But looking at the requirements at the time, I felt blocked by the specific subject categorization. 

Furthermore, I also felt the pressure to have a plan for the future in the back of my head. Looking at my hardworking parents, I was painfully aware that I needed to become independent from them after university graduation, even though I had a vague idea that making a living from art is not easy. As a result, I ended up choosing graphic design as a subject, which seemed more functional and affordable. I don’t regret this decision, as the course fortunately had room for fine art as well. I also met wonderful teachers in the university. However, it is also true that I could’ve chosen the course differently if the subject options had been less rigid. I also wish that the entrance process had centered around a diverse portfolio or art collection like many American art universities, instead of a test on a specific technique.


Finally, reason 3: Humiliation in the classroom

In the class dedicated to preparation for the exams, when we finished painting or drawing, we would put the works on the two floating shelves parallel with each other for being evaluated. The tutors, then, relocated the pieces according to the technique levels of each work they judged. The left top was the best, the right bottom was the worst. It seems that this is a tradition that exists in all art tutoring schools in Japan, and it wasn’t exclusive to one school. At the time, I didn’t feel like this evaluation process discouraged me, as I was focused on improving myself. What was much more disheartening was some of the comments tutors made during the evaluation. I still remember when tutors laughed at one of my classmates. They pointed out his paints were ‘improper’, saying they couldn’t believe he dared to say he wanted to be a designer while being so ignorant about paints.  Of course, not all the tutors were like that, but there was definitely a notion that teasing and demeaning students is acceptable. It was the humiliation that stung, not constructive criticism. 

Now, please let me define the word ‘humiliation’. According to the academic paper, ‘Toward a Psychology of Humiliation in Asymmetric Conflict’ by Clark McCauley from Bryn Mawr College, quote ‘Whether the humiliation arises out of personal experience or group membership, the descriptions reviewed so far seem to include four key elements: a perpetrator, a victim, an unjust lowering, and unequal power. In Lindner’s (2006) view, the feeling comes from being unjustly demeaned by a more powerful other. For Lazare (1987), it is the result of being unfairly debased or diminished by another person. According to S. B. Miller (1988), it “involves being placed in a lowly, debased, and powerless position by someone who has, at that moment, greater power than oneself”, Unquote. 

It sounds like a classroom that has a teacher or instructor in an absolute position of power over desperate students stressing out about the competitive exam. This is the perfect flowerbed for humiliation. In reality, it was not rare to witness the use of humiliation in schools in general back then. I believe I was extra disappointed when this happened in the art setting, though, because art has always been my safe space. This sense of losing the safe space deeply affected me afterwards.  It was also the art that saved me from the sense of helplessness though. I’ll save that topic for another time.


So, there you go. Overall, the application process for the art university was emotionally and physically strenuous for me. However, it was worthwhile as I learned a lot from the experience. I only mentioned Japanese and American art education systems as they are familiar to me, but I am also curious about the art education systems in other countries.


 I’d be delighted if you write a review of this podcast on Apple Podcasts or rating on Spotify. It would be lovely if you share the episode on social media as well. And of course, you’re more than welcome to let me know your thoughts about this topic from the contact form in the description. 

Thank you so much for listening. Goodbye for now!


X Reference Links

Toward a Psychology of Humiliation in Asymmetric Conflict -Clark McCauley Bryn Mawr College

Tuition Cost Comparison

School of Visual Arts in NY

Tama Art University Entrance Exam Questions Japanese

Selection of students for admission to Tokyo Zokei University for the 2025 academic year  (implemented in 2024)  Japanese

Selected Comparative Guide to Art Tutoring Schools Japanese

X Follow me


-----日本語-----

こんにちは、ニスリーンです!私のポッドキャスト第9回目へようこそ!またお耳にかかれて嬉しいです。

今日は、日本の美大受験のシステムについてお話したいと思います。私は、2011年に東京造形大学のグラフィックデザイン学科を卒業しました。東京造形大学は、東京5美大と呼ばれる、芸術に特化していることで知られる5つの大学の一つです。もうずいぶん昔のことですが、現在アメリカ合衆国に住んでいることで、自分の大学での経験について振り返る機会が増えているように感じます。アートに関する日本とは違う文化に触れることが多いですし、またこちらでは学歴について聞かれることが日本より多いからかもしれません。



以下オーディオファイルからお聴きいただけます。
またApple Podcasts とSpotifyにもアップロードされています。もし感想などありましたら、contact formから教えていただくか、以下ソーシャルメディアやApple Podcastsのレビューにてシェアしていただましたらとっても励みになります!

Xスクリプト

こんにちは、ニスリーンです!私のポッドキャスト第9回目へようこそ!またお耳にかかれて嬉しいです。

今日は、日本の美大受験のシステムについてお話したいと思います。私は、2011年に東京造形大学のグラフィックデザイン学科を卒業しました。東京造形大学は、東京5美大と呼ばれる、芸術に特化していることで知られる5つの大学の一つです。もうずいぶん昔のことですが、現在アメリカ合衆国に住んでいることで、自分の大学での経験について振り返る機会が増えているように感じます。アートに関する日本とは違う文化に触れることが多いですし、またこちらでは学歴について聞かれることが日本より多いからかもしれません。

美術大学で得た経験は本当に貴重で、感謝しかありません。しかし、受験の過程は私にとって決して楽なものではありませんでした。正直、今でも思い出すと心が痛む記憶もあります。 そこで、私にとって美大受験が大変だった3つの理由と、もっとこうだったらよかったのに、という考えをお話してみたいと思います。私の意見は個人的な経験に基づくものなので、今では状況が異なる可能性がありますこと、ご了承ください。

 

理由1:費用がかさむ。

これは私自身というより、私の両親の苦労ですね。4年間の大学授業にかかる総費用は約800万円、つまり約6万ドルでした。 アメリカの美術大学、例えばニューヨークのスクール・オブ・ヴィジュアル・アーツが2年間で総額約94000ドルかかるのと比べれば、そこまでひどくはないのかもしれません。しかし、日本国内では、私立大学の4年制コースの平均費用が400万円、つまり3万ドルです。この基準で言えば、美大はそうとう高額です。

さらに、入試の準備のために、生徒たちは毎晩放課後に専用の予備校に通わなければなりません。その予備校も年間1300㌦~3000㌦くらいかかるわけです。私が受験勉強をしていた頃、両親は文字通り昼夜働いていたこと、容赦ない支払いに追われていたのを覚えています。そのおかげで、私は受験勉強と高校の通常の勉強に集中できる大変恵まれた環境にいました。私の高校はアルバイトを禁止していたので、もし家計が苦しかったら、美大への進学は考えることもできなかったと思います。大学のホームページには奨学金制度が紹介されていますが、年間費用の1割程度しか負担されません。

東京全体で唯一の国立美大である東京芸術大学は学費が安いのですが、合格率は30%程度の難関大学です。 ほとんどの学生は何年も浪人の末にようやく入学ができるかということで、その過程の予備校費用もかかります。私自身は恵まれていましたが、全体として、美術を志す学生とその家族に対する組織的な支援がもっとあればよいのにな、と思います。

 

理由2:コースの選択肢に融通が利かない。

私が美大を目指したきっかけは、子供時代にさかのぼります。私は紙と鉛筆さえあればいつまでも退屈しないでいられる少女でした。ビジュアル・アートや絵を描くことが大好きだった私は、美術の学位を取るべきだと考えるようになりました。

しかし、10代になってようやく学部プログラムを見たとき、途方に暮れてしまいました。東京造形大学には絵画コースが1つありましたが、鉛筆デッサンと学科試験に加え、油絵の実技試験が必要でした。実は私は、子供の頃、絵画教室で油絵を楽しんでいたものの、自宅で本格的に油絵に取り組めるようなスペースがなくて、結局やめてしまっていたのです。ご存じない方のために説明すると、油絵は匂いがきついし、絵の具があちこちにつくので、生活空間と離れたアトリエが必要です。加えて、油絵はお金がかかります。日本の伝統的な岩絵の具はさらに高額です。もっと手ごろな値段で、場所もとらないアクリルや水彩に専念できればよいのに、と思いました。

また、多摩美術大学の絵画コースでは、「油画」「版画」「日本画」の3つの専攻科目から、特に1つの表現法を選ぶ必要がありました。今調べてみると、油画コースの入試ではアクリル絵具の使用が認められているようです。しかし、当時は、3つの表現方法から選考科目を選ぶことそのものに、行き詰まりを感じていました。

さらに、頭の片隅には将来設計のプレッシャーもあったように思います。アートで食べていくのは簡単ではないという漠然とした認識があると同時に、一生懸命働く両親を見ていると、大学卒業後は自活しなければならないと痛感してもいました。

その結果、より将来の選択肢がありそうで準備費用も比較的手ごろなグラフィックデザインを選択しました。幸い、コースの中でファインアートも学ぶことができましたし、素晴らしい先生方との出会いもあり、この決断に後悔はしていません。

しかし、科目の選択肢がここまで厳密でなければ、たとえばファインアートという大きな括りでの先行が許されていれば、もう少し自由に選択ができたのではないかと思う面はあります。また、一日の技術テストではなく、多くのアメリカの美術大学のように、ポートフォリオの提出を中心に据えた受験過程であったらもう少し自由な表現ができたのではないかとも思います。

 

最後の理由3:教室での精神的な苦痛

受験対策の予備校の授業では、絵やデッサンの作品ができると壁の二段の棚に並べて、講評を受けます。講師は、それぞれの作品の技術レベルに応じて、作品を並び替えるのです。左上が最高評価で、右下に行くほど評価が下がります。これは日本中の美術予備校にある伝統のようでした。当時は、上達することに神経を集中させていたので、この評価方法そのものに落ちこむことはあまりありませんでした。

それよりもがっかりしたのは、評価の際に講師が発する言葉の方だったと思います。今でも覚えているのは、最初の授業で、あるクラスメートを講師たちが笑ったことです。彼らは彼が持ってきた絵の具の種類が「不適切」だと指摘し、こんなに絵の具について無知なのに、デザイナーになりたいと言うなんて、と言って笑っていました。 もちろん、すべての講師がそうだったわけではありませんが、生徒をからかったり貶めたりすることは許されるという雰囲気があったのは確かです。建設的な批判は問題ありませんでしたが、このように生徒を貶めるような言葉選びは聴いていてつらいものでした。このように恥の感情をつかって相手を貶めることを英語でhumiliationといいます。この言葉の学術的な定義を見てみたいと思います。

ブリンマー・カレッジのクラーク・マッコーリーによる学術論文『非対称的対立におけるhumiliationの心理学』によると、以下引用です。「humiliationが個人的な体験から生じたものであれ、集団の一員であることから生じたものであれ、これまでに検討された記述には、加害者と被害者、不当に貶められた者と権力を行使した者という4つの重要な要素が含まれているようだ」と引用している。リンドナーの見解では、この感情は、より強力な他者から不当に卑下されることから生じる。ラザールは、他者から不当に貶められたり、矮小化されたりした結果であると定義している。S.B.ミラーによれば、「その瞬間、自分よりも大きな力を持つ誰かによって、貶められた無力な立場に置かれること」である。」以上引用です。

私はこれを読んで、受験を控えて必死な生徒たちと、絶対的な権力を持つ講師がいる教室を思い出しました。教室というのはhumiliationの温床だと思います。実際、当時は一般的な学校でも、教師が生徒を辱めるような言動を目の当たりにすることは珍しくなかったと思います。た

だ、美術予備校でこのような言動に遭った時にことさらにショックを受けたのは、私にとって絵の世界は安全な場所であるはずだったからでしょう。自分の心の安心の場を失ったという感覚は、その後の私に深い影響を与えました。 でも、このような無力感から救ってくれたのもまた、アートでした。このことについては、また別の機会にお話ししたいと思います。

以上になります。全体として、美大受験の過程は、私にとっては精神的にも肉体的にも大変なものでした。しかし、その経験から多くのことを学ぶことができましたので、今ではとても有意義なものであったと感謝しています。なお、今回は日本とアメリカ合衆国の状況についてしかお話できませんでしたが、他の国の美術教育システムにももっと知りたいと思っています。

ここまで聴いていただきまして、本当にありがとうございます。もしこのエピソードを楽しんでいただけましたら、Apple Podcastsでレビューを書いてくださると大変励みになります。もちろん、説明文にあるコンタクトフォームやソーシャルメディアからこのトピックについてのお考えを教えていただけるのも大歓迎です。

 

それではまた来週、お耳にかかれますこと、楽しみにしております!


Xソーシャルメディア

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

男性のベリーダンスは女性とは違うんですか?

ベリーダンスってハーレムで王様を誘惑するために踊られていた踊りなんでしょ?

ベリーダンスの衣装って、着てて恥ずかしくないですか?